Tuesday 23 December 2008

The roof of the world

A couple of days ago, I threw a sook. It was a big one.

As great a time as we'd been having in Nepal, the daily power cuts and cold showers were grinding me down. But what really made me throw my toys out of the cot was the haze that has covered the country since the first day we've been here. I was worried the only sight of the Himalayas we'd get was on the plane in. But yesterday we headed up to Sarangkot, a hill near Pokhara, and the last traces of my grump (much to Lauren's relief) well and truly vanished. Even with the mist the view was fantastic and at dawn, the skies cleared. It was one of the most breathtaking experiences of our lives.


After that we spent a few hours walking through the villages in the hills with our guide Raj. The sun was out and, except for buffalos groaning, locals chatting away and kids asking for sweets, it was wonderfully quiet.

The mountain in the background, Dhaulagiri (8167m) is the seventh highest in the world.


Machhapuchhare, 'Fish Tail', a sacred mountain that has never been climbed.

No comments: