Monday 18 February 2008

We're famous!

For a belated Christmas present, Erin sent me a neat little book, Little Histories, that was published by the Department of Internal Affairs late 2007. It's an interesting read, and filled with some great photographs of births, deaths and marriages throughout New Zealand's history.
Some of the photography is beautiful, my favourite being of an unidentified Maori woman taken at a funeral in the 1920s. Imagine our surprise, then, when we flipped to page 66 and saw a photo of us. (click here for a link to the pdf - see Chapter Four "Marriage Ceremonies") The photo was taken by a Dominion Post photographer at our ceremony last April because of me appearing in a newspaper feature about women changing their names after getting hitched, and after the feature ran it never occurred to us that it would resurface. I haven't laughed so hard since I watched Flight of the Concords last. I suppose it makes sense that they chose a photo of us alongside other arty historic shots as we are a hetero couple that got a civil union in a registry office, with a proper photo to boot. We still think that it's hilarious though - you should check it out! And maybe even buy a copy yourself as I am sure that every bookshelf needs a book with a photo of Tane and me inside ...

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hee hee. I'll have to buy me a copy. That way I can tell my grandkids that I used to flat with the famous guy on page 66!

Unknown said...

how cool are you guys!! what a great way to remember that special day.

Anonymous said...

This is totally cool!!

Anonymous said...

That RULES. How relieved are you that it's a great photo of you both?